Venture Scotland helps young people in Scotland, who want to make positive changes in their lives to transform, through a unique, 4-stage, progressive, long term, outdoor-based personal development programme. We are focused on sustainably growing our impact and anticipate a growing need for our programmes as mental health needs among young people are increasingly unmet elsewhere.
We are seeking a Treasurer who shares our passion for providing personal development opportunities to young adults, who recognises the transformative power of the outdoors and who is interested in helping to shape the future of a charity that makes a real difference to young lives.
We are seeking an individual who meets one or more of the following criteria:
- An accountant – chartered, management, certified or public;
- Has worked at a management level with responsibilities for finance;
- Reviews or prepares management accounts and financial information; or
- Has other relevant financial experience which is relevant to our organisation and the role.
We are committed to increasing diversity at all levels of our organisation and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
As Treasurer you will sit on our Board of Trustees which meets every two to three months. Meetings are normally held in Edinburgh, and we can accommodate remote meetings and video conferencing.
We have a well-established finance system so the Treasurer is not required to perform book-keeping or ‘hands-on’ finance duties, which are run by our Head of Administration and Finance. The main responsibilities of the Treasurer are more supervisory, and include:
- Chairing the Finance and Fundraising committee, which includes 1-2 other trustees and normally meets shortly in advance of Board meetings;
- Overseeing the preparation of financial information for the Board;
- Strategic input to the development of financial policies and the financial implications of the charity’s plan and budgets (roughly once a year);
- Providing limited ad hoc review and support to Venture Scotland’s financial administrator
- Occasionally acting as a counter signatory on funding applications; and
- Review of the annual report.
We also encourage our Trustees to get involved with other events, such as attending our young peoples’ awards nights or other outdoors volunteering activities. Trustees are appointed to the Board for an initial term of 3 years.
Additional information about Venture Scotland can be found at www.venturescotland.org.uk
If you are interested, please submit your CV and covering letter by Wednesday 30 September to firstname.lastname@example.org