Venture Scotland helps young people in Scotland, who want to make positive changes in their lives to transform, through a unique, 4-stage, progressive, long term, outdoor-based personal development programme. We are focused on sustainably growing our impact and anticipate a growing need for our programmes as mental health needs among young people are increasingly unmet elsewhere.
We are seeking a Company Secretary who shares our passion for providing personal development opportunities to young adults, who recognises the transformative power of the outdoors and who is interested in helping to shape the future of a charity that makes a real difference to young lives.
We are seeking an individual who meets the following criteria:
- A Company Secretary or Solicitor or other professional with relevant experience.
- Worked at a management level within a company secretarial or legal role. Third sector experience is desirable but not essential.
- Can provide ad hoc legal/company secretarial support in relation to the review and updating of the companies Memorandum and Articles of Association.
- Can provide ad hoc legal support particularly in relation to charity law, OSCR and GDPR.
- Can write timely, accurate and concise meeting minutes.
We are committed to increasing diversity at all levels of our organisation and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
As Company Secretary, you will sit on our Board of Trustees which meets every two months (mostly in Edinburgh and Glasgow although currently remotely). The main responsibilities of the Company Secretary include:
- Advising on the legal implications of the charity’s strategic plan.
- Overseeing the charity’s governance and risk‐management processes and the implementation of appropriate controls.
- Providing ad hoc legal or company secretarial support in relation to the charity’s review of its’ Memorandum and Articles of Association or be able to support an external review of the same.
- Providing ad hoc legal support to the charity, in particular in relation to charity law and OSCR.
- Providing ad hoc support to ensure the charity complies with data protection laws and the GDPR including training for members of the Leadership team.
- Taking meeting minutes and writing them up in a timely manner.
The Company Secretary is also expected to participate in occasional ad-hoc meetings, the AGM, young people’s awards nights, annual volunteer development weekend and is expected to advocate for Venture Scotland’s benefit among their personal and professional connections. The Company Secretary is appointed to the board for an initial term of 3 years.
Additional information about Venture Scotland can be found here (pdf): Company Secretary Person Spec 2021
If you are interested, please submit your CV and covering letter by Monday 8 March 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org